Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Lemon Rice - Blog Hop Wednesday

Lemon/lime rice reminds me of train journeys and the packed lunch we take for the journey.Since lemon rice is flavoured with lemon juice its citric acid keeps the rice good for a longer time(its a belief but we have it for lunch the same day).
Its my second week at Blog Hop Wednesdays.I enjoy Radhika's blog and her event is a great opportunity to re-create recipes from fellow bloggers.





This week I have been paired with Sumedha from Sumee's Culinary Bites.

Being a south indian, lemon rice is quite a frequent visitor on our tables.But I couldn't perfect it for a long way, I must say my mom in law makes a really soft and moist lemon rice.You can find Sumee's recipe here.I found Sumee's version very similar to what my mom in law makes.

Preparation Time : 10 mins ( cooking time of rice is additional)
Feeds 2

Here's what you need..

Cooked(and cooled) rice(basmati or boiled rice) 2 cups

for the tempering:
Oil 1 tablespoon (or more)
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds/fennel seeds 1/2 tsp
Pepper corns 1/2 tsp
Urad dal/black lentils 1 tsp
Peanuts/Chana dal(split bengal gram) 1 tablespoon
Cashew nuts few (optional)
Curry leaves 2 springs
Dried red chillies 2 nos
Asoefetida a pinch
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Lemon juice 1 small sized one
  • If you are using freshly cooked rice then cook it and allow it to cool on a large plate so the rice grains cool and each grain is separate.
  • Mix the lemon juice in about 2 tablespoons of water and mix salt to taste and turmeric powder and keep separately.
  • Heat oil in a pan, add the oil and let it cool.Add the ingredients for the tempering in that order.
  • Be careful not to heat too much as the tempering will burn if too hot.
  • Add the lemon juice mixed with turmeric and salt.Let this simmer for a while and then add the cooled rice and stir well until the lemon juice and tempering is coated uniformly on the rice.

  • Serve hot with boiled eggs,fried potatoes and thuvaiyal.


and HCC @ Edible Entertainment and My Tasty Curry.

15 comments:

  1. Thanx for sweet compliments. :o) Hope you liked this. My easy go to recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fav anytime,makes me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lemon rice & potato curry- the staple train fare-- aah miss those days; looks yum

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your pic! If you can, please go through the rules of my Healthy Lunch Challenge and link your post there.
    Thanks! :)
    -
    Kavi | Edible Entertainment

    ReplyDelete
  5. simply superb..lemon rice n egg plant fry are my fav combo :) your platter looks so tempting !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks vidhy.love ur craZy corn too!spicy n cheezy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by and giving me all the encouragement to keep going.

You May also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis