Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Naan - on tawa

I'm back after a wonderful relaxing vacation!I was definitely missing home and my ever so favourite blog.I really didn't think i'd be able to keep away from it for so long.This Naan on tawa recipe is so easy and turned out pretty good after i had a few not too good experiences with naan.And I had given up on making naan at home until i tried this version!


My earliest memories of dining out are usually always my favourite naan and butter chicken followed by some dessert.Recently the naan passion has moved on to kerala parottas- i have been trying this at home and will definitely share a step by step soon i hope :)

You have to use yeast in this recipe and I agree it would have turned out even better in a grill or oven but I just wanted to try the tawa version which is much easier than using the oven/grill.The secret here lies in covering the naan and cooking it on the griddle/tawa on both sides which puffs up the naan beautifully.


I read two versions here  and here before trying this myself.

You need

All purpose flour/maida 2 and half cups
Yeast 1 tablespoon
Salt 1 tsp
Sugar 1 tbsp
Warm Water 1 cup and more
Oil 1 tbsp


  • Place the yeast with sugar and salt in a bowl and pour some warm water and stir well.Leave it undisturbed ( this is a really difficult step if you're rather inquisitive like me i kept peeking in and luckily the yeast didn't ditch me).If the yeast is in good condition(yes i had a few bad/dead yeast too) it will froth up in about 10 minutes or so.
  • In a mixing bowl, add the flour and pour the yeast into this and enough warm water and knead into a nice soft dough.
  • Add oil and knead some more until the dough pops back when poked.Now grease the dough and leave it covered in a greased bowl.
  • The dough will increase in size in about an hour's time.
  • Now pinch off balls of dough and roll them out into any shape you fancy.Roll them out a little thick not too thin only then will the naans be soft.
  • Heat a tawa/griddle and drop the naan onto this, once it puffs up on one side flip it over and cover the naan and cook the other side until brown spots appear on both sides.
  • Repeat for all the remaining dough.



  • Grease butter/ghee on the naan and serve hot with any spicy vegetarian gravy or non vegetarian gravy!

14 comments:

  1. Welcome back dear. The Naan looks amazing bookmarked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice recipes...happy to follow u..
    do visit my space in your free time..
    Shabbu's Tasty Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naan looks yummy and perfectly done...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you had a lovely vacation, naan looks extremely fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back :) Naan on tawa looks perfect and comfortable to cook too :) Nicely done!!

    Participate and win prizes
    The Master Chef Contest
    You Too Can Cook Indian Food Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks u all!feels good to be back :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My fav one, I too do the same at home and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Princy,

    I'm Punitha of

    http://www.southindiafoodrecipes.blogspot.in

    New to your lovely space:)

    Naan looks delicious!!

    At your free time do visit my blog and

    drop your valuable comments Princy:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow... Naan on Tawa looks great. I've never made Naan at home, must try this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by and giving me all the encouragement to keep going.

You May also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis