Monday, June 10, 2013

Channa/Chick peas Pulav

My DH told me once they had a super channa biryani at his office lunch.I have seen many recipes online but never had the itch to try it though until recently.Ever since i tried it I make it atleast once a week because its so easy to pack off in lunch boxes and most importantly my LM loves her pulses and chickpeas are her fave!


This is just a quick mix and toss ready to go rice.I feel working with pulses are so easy as much health they can impart too.Suddenly as  I write this I'm thinking if this should be called pulao or biryani?Whats the difference anyone who knows pls let me know.



You can just pack it off with a raita and some fried potato or bhindis and it tastes super good.

You need
Cooked rice 2 cups(basmati or normal rice)
Cooked chick peas 1 cup
Ghee 1 tablespoon
Whole spices - cardamom 3,cloves 4,cinnamon stick 2 small pieces
Fennel seeds/saunf - 1 tsp
Oil 1tablespoon
Onions 1 large
Tomato 2 medium
Ginger 1 inch piece chopped finely
Curry leaves 2 sprigs
Green chilli 1 slit
Coriander powder 1 n half tsp
Sambar powder 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander/cilantro leaves 2 tablespoons


  • Heat oil in a pan, add the curry leaves, followed by whole spices, and fennel seeds.
  • Now add the green chilli and onions, let this fry well.Then add the ginger and allow to cook well.
  • Add the tomato and allow to mash well add some water if needed to make a smooth paste like mix.
  • Add the cooked chick peas and let it cook along with the tomato.
  • Add the coriander powder and sambar powder along with salt and let it fry well for a minute.
  • Add the cooked rice and mix well.
  • Sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves just before serving.










10 comments:

  1. i've made this a couple of times and literally fell in love with it... such comforting pulao... yumm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pulao looks inviting, nutritious and protein packed definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. healthy biriyani.. like it with raita and non veg curry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I too nvr had the chance to prepare this and still in my todo list... Urs tempts me to try soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. very delicious biryani dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chana pulao looks yummy, nice presentation! BTW, raw rice cooked in stock is Pulao and boiled rice layered with masala/curry is Biryani. At least that's how I know it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the delicious entry to MLLA!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by and giving me all the encouragement to keep going.

You May also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis