Monday, October 20, 2014

South indian style Boondi ladoo and Boondi spicy mixture|Diwali sweets and snacks

I had tried these ladoos long ago and was waiting to post them for some special occasion but then I dropped my laptop and now I lost the precious Diwali post i had so lovingly prepared.Us bloggers I don't know if we take more pleasure in cooking something, clicking it or eating it.I tell my DH whether its any occasion or festival, i need to make something because my blog needs a special recipe.How many agree with me??



I had better pictures of these ladoos on my laptop too but since thats not going to work for sometime I thought I'll share the ones I have on my phone.Thank God for the iphone because I've hardly touched my camera since the fall of the laptop.
Regarding the other Diwali recipe I had made rasmalais :) i so want to share the recipe asap I revive my laptop screen.


About these ladoos you need a slotted spoon and everything else is simple not as tough as I used to think.The method and procedure was shared to me by my dear friend Vidya who blogs at Delights from Vidya check out her vegetarian recipes simple and exotic everyday cooking.

Referred to recipe here also

Makes about 12 small lemon sized ladoos

To make these boondis you need

Besan/Kadala maav/Gram flour 1 and half cup
Cooking soda/appam soda/baking soda a pinch
Water to make a thick idli batter like consistency
Oil to deep fry
A slotted spoon or boondi ladle is available in vessels shops
Kitchen towel

  • Mix the besan with the water along with the cooking soda and make a thick batter with a pouring consistency.If its too thin the boondis will have a tail.
  • Pour ladles of batter over the slotted spoon into the hot oil in a kadhai.The boondis will be done when the oil stops sizzling, take out of oil and drain them on a kitchen paper towel.




To make the sugar syrup
Sugar 1 and half cup(or two)
Water enough to submerge the water
Cardamom seeds, cloves 3-4 each


  • Add sugar to a heavy bottom vessel, pour just enough water to cover the sugar or make it wet this will speeden your process more water means more time to reach the desired consistency.
  • Add the crushed cardamom seeds and cloves to this water.
  • Keep the heat on medium high and allow the sugar to melt and keep simmering while stirring.You need to get to the two string consistency.When you lift the spoon from the sugar syrup you can touch a drop of sugar syrup and between your finger you need to see two lines being formed.I couldn't take a picture of that because i was too tensed to leave the sugar syrup unattended.This will take about 5-6 minutes.Turn off the heat once the two string consistency is achieved.

To make the ladoos.
you need

Nuts almonds, cashews chopped finely 2 tablespoons 
Raisins 1 tablespoon
Ghee 2 tablespoon

  • Roast the nuts and raisins in the ghee.
  • In a bowl, add the roasted raisins,nuts and the boondis.Pour the sugar syrup it will look like its a lot but the boondis will soak it all up.
  • Now take a little(about a qtr)of this soaked boondi and blitz it in the mixer jar.Mix this powdered boondi with the whole boondi and make ladoos by giving pressure a lot of the sugar syrup may ooze out but thats what helps the boondis to stick together.(note #3)
  • The ladoos will set hard once they cool completely.
  • You can store them in airtight container at room temperature for a few days.
Notes:
  1. the boondi batter has to be lumpless so use a whisk and make a lump free batter or sieve it before adding water to avoid lumps.
  2. the batter has to be neither too thick nor too thin.
  3. I tried skipping the grinding of boondis part but the boondis didn't stay together when I tried grinding them and then making the ladoos they worked like magic so don't skip that step.
  4. Checking for sugar syrup may seem scary but it is not you need to hold on and be patient the consistency will get there.first the one string consistency - when you lift the spoon a single string of sugar syrup will drip then the two string consistency.These consistencies are crucial in indian sweets but once you try them its easy and the outcome these ladoos are super good.

Spicy Boondi mixture

You can leave some boondis without adding to the sugar syrup or make a fresh batch of boondis to try this mixture.


You need
Boondi as required (same process as above)
Peanuts a hand full
Curry leaves a few 
Oil 2-3 tsp
Salt to taste 
Chilli powder to taste
  • keep the boondi ready.
  • In a small pan, heat oil and fry the curry leaves drain it on a paper towel.Then fry the peanuts and drain them too.
  • In a mixing bowl, mix together the boondis, curry leaves and peanuts and add enough salt and chilli powder and toss it well.
  • Store in a air tight container.



Here we have two snacks one sweet and one savoury with the boondis.These same boondis can be added to your yogurt mix to make your boondi raita.

Have a fun filled healthy and safe Diwali.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming by and giving me all the encouragement to keep going.

You May also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis