I should say accidents become blog posts. I wanted to make some evening snacks for kids after soaking about few tablespoons of urad dal i found out i didn't have any more of it, so i soaked channa dal for a few hours then i ground it like our regular parupu vada it turned out super fluffy and the kids loved it.
These are a really quick snack to make.If it weren't for lack of planning, i would've never tried this combination.
Makes around 15-20 vadas depending on the size you make
Channa dal/kadala paruppu 3/4th cup
Urad dal/ulundhu 3 tablespoons
Onion small 1
Ginger 1/2 inch piece
Green chilli 1 medium
Curry leaves 1 sprig
Salt to taste
Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
Oil to deep fry
- Soak the dals together for about 1-2 hours.
- Drain the water after it soaks, and grind it to a smooth paste.
- Grind or chop finely green chilli, onion, curry leaves and ginger and add it to the ground dal mixture.Add salt and mix well.add the cumin seeds.
- Heat oil in a kadhai/wok, once hot, if the mixture is too wet or liquidy use a small spoon to drop small portions into the oil.If its thick you may shape them like doughnuts with a hole in between like the traditional ulundhu vadai.
- Fry until golden brown, drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot with sauce or chutney.